The Florence Story
The Flo was born in the early 1800s when a family by the name of ‘Frowd’ sold beer to the local community from their front room at no. 22 ‘The Corner House’, Florence Road. Around 1878 the house was bought by the Landport based brewery J.J. Young, who were in turn purchased by the larger Portsmouth brewery George Peters & Co around 1902. In 1959 George Peters & Co were sold to the national brewery Friary Meux who in turn passed to Ind Coope, Allied Domecq and currently Punch Taverns. The last landlord of the original public house was a Mr Thomas Goodman in about 1910.